In life, sometimes the smallest things can have the biggest impact. The same can be said for food. Instead of courses hitting your guests like giant waves crashing down, sometimes it’s better to for them to wade through a gentle stream. Variety will always liven things up and provide your guests with micro experiences. When putting together canapees, sharing plates or table spreads, it’s always good to have a good list of dishes in your arsenal.
Devilled Eggs are an easy to prepare crowd pleaser. As well, they are like the opposite of a Lay’s chip; you can probably have just one. Making a few tweaks can elevate this dish from backyard BBQ fare to one of the stars of your spread. There’s no need to stick to the script here. Get creative, add your own style and, as always, have fun with it.
Huevos Del Diablo
6 hard boiled eggs
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp hot Dijon mustard
2 tablespoon finely minced dill pickles
3 slices of cooked and chopped thick cut double smoked bacon
2-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 tablespoons of finely minced shallots
Salt and Pepper
Pinch of chipotle powder for garnish
1) Place eggs in a saucepan, fill water to an inch above the eggs and bring to a boil.
2) Once water is boiling, remove from heat, cover and leave in hot water for 10 minutes.
3) When the time is up, remove the eggs and submerge them in an ice water bath. This will chill the eggs and shrink the egg away from the shell for easier peeling.
4) Chop your pickles, bacon and shallots, while giving the eggs 5-10 minutes to cool.
5) Crack eggs and peel under running cold water to remove any lingering egg shells.
6) Cut eggs in half lengthwise and peel white from egg yolk making it easier to spoon out.
7) Once you have all of your egg yolks separated in a bowl, mash and mix them with a fork or blender until their consistency smoothens.
8) Add your bacon, pickles, Dijon, shallots and vinegar, mixing well after each ingredient is added.
9) Add 2 TBSP of mayonnaise to bind your mixture and give it a taste. If you want a creamier mixture, add the two remaining tablespoons. Salt and pepper to taste.
10) Cover egg mixture and whites separately and refrigerate until serving.
11) On a plate, lay out your 12 egg halves (maybe serve the eggs on a few romaine leaves for presentation) and spoon the egg mixture evenly into the whites.
12) Add a gentle sprinkle of chipotle powder for garnish